If you or someone you know has some marks they were born with, they are either comfortable living with them or they wish they would wake up one day and find it gone. Whichever camp you fall into, this post brings you information on various aspects of birthmarks on face. What causes birthmarks on the face? Do birthmarks have any meaning? Why are there red birthmarks on my face? We seek to answer these questions and go even further to tell you how to get rid of birthmarks on the face.
What Causes Birthmarks on the Face?
Vascular birthmarks on the face are caused by a malfunctioning of blood vessels. This leads to a constant dilation of blood capillaries which causes a constant blood flow to the skin. As a result, the area gets blood stained.
In other cases, the blood vessels cluster in one point leading to a network of capillaries that are concentrated to one point.
For pigmented birthmarks such as mole birthmarks on the face, the cause is the clustering of melanocytes. These are the cells responsible for melanin formation on our skin. When they group, the area around which they have patched darkens.
Birthmarks on Face Meaning
Different communities view birthmarks on the face differently. Despite there being no known cause for them, traditional knowledge has been passed on through folklore to try and explain the meaning of birthmarks depending on where they are found.
Birthmarks on face meaning could be indicative of good things or could also be a sign of bad omen. See the various meanings below.
- A birthmark that is situated beneath the eyebrows is an indicator of creativity and intelligence. These traits may help one to become successful, wealthy and famous.
- If there is one at the center of the skin found on top of the upper lip, one has potential to have constant emotional support and the ability to raise a huge family.
- People who have them on the mouth’s either side indicate that the individuals may get rich, live a lavish life and tend to be famous. They are satisfied in their homes. Women who have moles here are beautiful.
- People who have moles on the forehead tend to be hardworking, innovative and carefree, they also possess leadership skills and are likely to be successful entrepreneurs.
- When on the eyebrows, they indicate people who are powerful and authoritative. They make ideal company leaders.
Birthmarks are not all positive. They also represent bad things. Where there is a birthmark of positivity, there is one that is an omen and suggestive of bad things in the opposite direction.
- A birth mark in the center of the nose is a bad omen. People with them tend to over-indulge in flirting and gambling. The greatest challenge they face is learning how to stop when indulging in these things and resisting temptations from them.
- One found beneath the eyebrows suggests that there is discord within the extended family. This may be strenuous and affect professional and personal live.
- If one gets some moles on the side of the nose, it is an indication that they may fall ill frequently.
- One on the lip suggests you have a problem with the diet and that your sexual life is pathetic.
Red Birthmark on Face
Red birthmark on face is quite common. These are also known as vascular birthmarks and are caused by dilation of blood vessels which are on the top part of the skin.
A lot of babies are born with salmon patches. These are normally red flat marks that can be found on the baby’s eyelids, neck, back and top nose. Others are under the hair and as such unnoticeable. With time, the mark grows faint and no one can tell it exists. It only becomes visible when the baby cries. However, those that get a salmon patch on the neck still have it all through to adulthood.
Strawberry birthmarks on the face are another type of red mark that develops in the first month after birth. They start off looking like some red patch that grows rapidly to form a lump. They are normally found on the surface of the skin and look like strawberry.
Strawberry birthmarks are mostly common in babies born prematurely. While these are mostly found on the neck and face of the baby, they can be found anywhere else. In case they grow on the eyelid, they may affect the baby’s visual development and may need to be treated. The same case applies to if it is affecting breathing or feeding. They tend to fade by the age of seven years.
Port-wine Stains are red colored blotches found on the skin. Their main cause is a dilation of blood vessels found on the top most part of the skin. They tend to vary in size and shape. These marks are permanent but there are treatments that can be used to fade them away and even out the skin color tone. Where they are too big, they could be suggestive of Sturge –Weber syndrome. They affect only one side of the body.
Red birthmarks found on the face can be quite distressing as they affect how a person looks. This could have an impact on a child’s social development. If the birthmark looks like it may affect the baby’s self-esteem, it is best to seek treatment early enough. Laser therapies tend to be most effective and are safe enough on children.
Port Wine Birthmark on Face
Port wine birthmarks on the face may be an indication of some other intellectual syndrome. It is best to have a doctor check them out so that one can get an early diagnosis. It is also important that a parent seeks treatment for it before a baby starts being self-conscious.
How to Get Rid of Birthmarks on Face
If you have that stubborn mark on your face and are wondering how to get rid of birthmarks on face, we explore some options that could be of help here.
Moles can be removed using a minor surgical procedure. This could be done in a doctor’s office using a scalpel to cut out the mole. This is then lifted out using tweezers after which the incision is stitched. They could also shave off the mole and use electrical means to stop bleeding.
Most salmon patches go untreated since they are harmless and tend to fade away with time. Port wine stains and strawberry marks may need treatment. Strawberry marks that interfere with normal functioning of other structures are shrunk. This could be through use of steroids or laser treatment.
Port wine stains can be faded using laser treatment too. This normally requires a number of sessions and works best in children.
Since most birthmarks are harmless, it is recommended that they be left alone. Only seek how to remove birthmark on face if:
- It is cosmetically undesirable.
- Complications arise.
- There is possibility for it to develop into a serious problem.
Where one can, they could adopt corrective cosmetics to help them camouflage and conceal the birthmarks. This would be better than having to undergo the medical procedures.
Further Suggested Reading
- White Birthmark on Hair & Stomach Meaning
- What Causes Birthmarks – Red, White & Strawberry Birthmarks on Babies
- What is a Vascular Birthmark? Treatment, Removal & Pictures
- Strawberry Birthmark Meaning, Causes, Pictures & Myths
- Red Birthmark on Face, Head, Arm & Neck of Baby
- Port Wine Stain Birthmark Cause, Treatment & Removal
- Mongolian Birthmark Causes, Meaning, Origin and Pictures
- How to Get Rid of Birthmarks at Home & Naturally Fast
- Drew Brees Birthmark and Removal Surgery
- Different Types of Birthmarks on Babies (with Pictures)
- Birthmark Removal & Laser Birthmark Removal Cost
- Birthmark Meanings – Shapes, Location on Body and Spiritual Meanings
- Birthmark in Eye – Meaning and Celebs with Eye Birthmarks
- Best Birthmark Removal Cream with Reviews