Birthmarks are a common phenomenon during and after birth. They differ in sizes with some people having tiny ones and others having some big ones. Some types of birthmarks are inherited while others just happen by chance. Given these diversities, it is usual for those bearing them to wonder what does my birthmark mean. If you are one of them, you will get the answers in this post. In it we discuss if there is more to these marks than the normal scientific explanations we get about their occurrence. Read on to learn more about birthmark meanings, shapes, location on body and spiritual meanings.
What Do Birthmarks Mean
From a medical perspective, birthmarks develop due to the formation of some skin pigment that does not make it to the surface of the skin but gets lodged in the deeper layers. Another group of birthmarks is formed as a result of faulty blood vessels under the skin.
While this is how modern knowledge portrays birthmarks, traditional knowledge about them has always been passed from one generation to the next. According to various superstitious beliefs, they can be a sign of good luck, bad omen or a mark of the devil. Here are some of these that cut across most cultures.
There are three main subdivisions as to how birthmarks meanings are derived:
- They could be an omen that determines a person’s traits or characteristics.
- They could occur as a result of an action taken by the mother or something that happened to her while she was carrying the baby.
- The last source of meaning is an event in a person’s past-life.
Birthmarks as an omen
The part of the body on which the birthmark is placed could signify a particular character trait that the child will have when they grow up. For example, if the birthmark is on the right foot the person will travel and explore the world while if it occurs on the left foot it could mean that the person will be very intelligent.
Birthmarks and the pregnant mother
Some folklore suggests that birthmarks are indicative of a mothers craving and consumption of certain foods when she was pregnant. For example, strawberry birthmarks are said to form if a mother ate too many strawberries. Myths have it that the strong feelings a mother had during pregnancy could result in the formation of a birthmark on the child. For example, if a mother fell and was frightened during pregnancy this could cause formation of a mole on the child.
Birthmarks and past-lives
Birthmarks are also associated with a person’s past life or reincarnation. For people who believe to have come from another life, the birthmarks indicate some trauma they may have faced during or before their death.
Birthmark Location Meanings
The location of a birthmark on the body is said to have a certain meaning. Below we explore some of the birthmark location meanings.
- Stomach/abdomen: If you have a birthmark on your stomach this is taken to mean that you are greedy and self-centered.
- Middle of chest: Birthmarks in the middle of the chest indicate that one will have good luck and acquire great fortunes in life.
- On the Jaw: one that is situated here shows that one will have a poor health and a bad lifestyle.
- The back: Birthmarks on the back mean that you are truthful and open-minded.
- Legs: People with birthmarks on the legs are said to be dependent. They can make no decision on their own.
- Shoulders: A birthmark on the left shoulder means that you will have money problems while a birthmark on the right shoulder means that you will have good wealth.
- Fingers: Birthmarks on the fingers mean that you enjoy making decisions and that you like to be independent.
- Arms: For men, a birthmark on the arm means that he is a home maker. He likes to stay at home and take care of the children while. While found on a woman, it means that she puts her career first.
Birthmark Shape Meanings
Superstitions and myths that surround birthmarks do not stop their interpretations at location. They also extend it to birthmark shape meanings. For example a round mole is taken to mean that the person is good. An oblong mole means that the person will acquire some wealth while an angular mole means that the person suffers from double personality traits and as such is both good and bad at the same time.
The shapes of the birthmarks may or may not mean anything to different individuals. It is all dependent on our cultural experiences and teachings.
Heart Shaped Birthmark Meaning
While one gets a heart shaped birthmark, it is taken to mean that one will have a life full of love. The individual will be lucky enough to fall in love with their soul mate. They will also be fun loving persons in their life.
Birthmarks Meaning on Body
Birthmarks meaning on body are different. A birthmark on face meaning varies depending on its location on the face. One near the mouth for men means that they will have great wealth while for women it means that they are very talkative. A birthmark on the right cheek for men means that they are quite passionate while for women it means that they will have a fulfilling love life.
One on the chin for men shows that have a short temper while for women it means that they are the bread winners in the family. A birthmark on the nose means that you are a creative thinker. Mongolian green birthmark meaning is taken to be an indicator of one’s ancestry.
Birthmark on Forehead Meaning
Birthmark on the forehead meaning varies depending on the location. A birthmark on the centre of the forehead means that the person is very attractive and will have a number of relationships. A birthmark on the left side of the forehead means that the person is a spendthrift. If the birthmark is on the right side of the forehead, this means that the person has great mind power.
Spiritual Meaning of Birthmarks
There are a number of spiritual meanings of birthmarks. Years ago, birthmarks were believed to be the devil’s signature and people who had birthmarks on their bodies were secluded. Birthmarks found on the faces are believed to be angel’s kisses. For Mongolian birthmarks, there are communities that believe they are as a result of spiritual beating to eject a baby from their mother’s womb.
Most of the meanings discussed are only superstitious. The extent to how true they are is yet to be proven.
Further Suggested Reading
- White Birthmark on Hair & Stomach Meaning
- What Causes Birthmarks – Red, White & Strawberry Birthmarks on Babies
- What is a Vascular Birthmark? Treatment, Removal & Pictures
- Strawberry Birthmark Meaning, Causes, Pictures & Myths
- Red Birthmark on Face, Head, Arm & Neck of Baby
- Port Wine Stain Birthmark Cause, Treatment & Removal
- Mongolian Birthmark Causes, Meaning, Origin and Pictures
- How to Get Rid of Birthmarks at Home & Naturally Fast
- Drew Brees Birthmark and Removal Surgery
- Different Types of Birthmarks on Babies (with Pictures)
- Birthmarks on Face Meaning, Causes & How to Get Rid of Them
- Birthmark Removal & Laser Birthmark Removal Cost
- Birthmark in Eye – Meaning and Celebs with Eye Birthmarks
- Best Birthmark Removal Cream with Reviews