Although not often a health concern and not an indication of poor personal hygiene, dry scalp is one of the most annoying scalp conditions. Imagine having to contend with white flakes raining on your shoulders all day or having to scratch your head every now and then to get rid of that itching that doesn’t seem to ever go away. This article will show you how to get rid of dry scalp and get that natural luster back again.
How to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
If you are wondering how to get rid of dry scalp, here are some easy-to-use home remedies that you may want to use.
Hot oil Treatment
Any session on how to get rid of dry scalp is in my opinion hardly complete without a mention of hot oil treatment. The idea is to nourish your hair and scalp with natural oils and warming the oil is usually done to enhance the rate of absorption of oil into the scalp.
Here is how to get rid of dry scalp using an olive hot oil treatment
- Heat some olive oil in a small pot. The temperature should be just enough to enhance the effectiveness of the oil without scalding your scalp. If you have a microwave, heat the oil for 20 seconds over regular heat.
- Apply the hot oil on your scalp using your fingertips and a comb to separate your hair as necessary. Start at your most natural section of hair and continue until you have covered your entire scalp.
- Cover your head with a plastic shower cap for at least 30 minutes. The longer you take with the shower cap on the better the results you can expect.
- Rinse your hair with warm water and finish of by shampooing and conditioning your hair as usual.
Tea tree oil
Usually very effective at combating scalp dryness and itching, tea tree oil should also inform your desire to learn how to get rid of dry scalp. In addition to its moisturizing effects on your hair and scalp, the anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral makes it ideal for getting rid of both dry scalp and dandruff. [See the section on differences between dry scalp and dandruff]
To use tea tree oil to get rid of dry scalp, add a tablespoon of tea tree oil into a cup of conditioner and use the mixture to condition your hair after shampooing as usual. You can also simply dilute 1 tablespoon of dilute tea tree oil with a cup of water before applying it to your hair and scalp.
Honey + Olive Oil
Honey is also a very effective scalp moisturizing and nourishing ingredient. Here is how to get rid of dry scalp with honey and olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons virgin oil
- 2 tablespoons pure glycerin
- Mix the ingredients together in a small basin
- Stir thoroughly till well blended
- Apply the mixture to condition your hair after shampooing it as you normally do.
You can as well mix honey and natural conditioner in a ratio of 1:2 and use it to condition your hair after shampooing it. Note however that honey is known to lighten hair so be careful if that would be the last thing in your list of preferences.
How to Get Rid of Dry Scalp Naturally with an Egg Mask
Conditioning your hair and scalp with eggs is a great way to get rid of dry scalp. This remedy helps to nourish your scalp while providing it with moisture.
Break 2 eggs in a small bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and 1/8 cup of water. Stir the mixture thoroughly until well blended. Next, shampoo your hair and pat it with a towel to remove excess water before applying the egg mask on your hair and scalp. Allow some 15 minutes for the mixture to set in before washing it off with warm water.
NB: don’t use hot water to wash off the egg mixture; scrambled eggs are the last thing you would wish for.
How to Get Rid of Dry Itchy Scalp with Apple Cider Vinegar
If you are wondering how to get rid of dry, itchy scalp, apple cider vinegar would be worth the consideration. Applying apple cider vinegar balances the scalp’s pH and is known to relieve the scalp of dryness as well as itchiness.
Here is how to get rid of dry, itchy scalp with apple cider vinegar:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Rosemary oil
- Pour 3 cups of water into a saucepan or small pot
- Add several drops of rosemary oil and bring the mixture to a boil
- Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes
- Allow to cool and then add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and apply generous amounts of it onto your scalp after shampooing. You can either rinse it off or just leave it on.
How to Get Rid of Dry Scalp for Men
Dry scalp is as irritating for men as much as it is for women. No man fancies the thought of walking around with white flakes falling on his shirt or coat. On a general scale, getting rid of dry scalp in men is not any different than getting rid of dry scalp for women.
Any of the above remedies are worth trying for men. You will especially want to try a hot oil treatment which is essentially massaging warm coconut or olive oil on your scalp. [See the ‘How to Get Rid of Dry Scalp section above for instructions]. Using a good moisturizing lotion and conditioner can also help.
If you read around online, you will come across many sites advising you to wash your hair and scalp frequently as a way to get rid of dry scalp, but this is effective in getting rid of dandruff but not dry scalp.
In essence you should cut down on your washing and/or shampooing frequency and avoid using shampoo and soaps with harsh ingredients especially sodium lauryl sulfate which may dry your scalp further. It is also important to avoid using too hot water to wash your hair as this typically strips out your hair and scalp’s natural oils leading to dry scalp.
How to Get Rid of Baby Dry Scalp
If you are wondering how to get rid of your baby’s dry scalp [not dandruff or cradle cap], your best bet would be to massage olive oil onto your baby’s scalp several times a week. Baby oil and Vaseline can also help. There are also various baby care products specifically shampoos that are formulated for use in babies e.g. Selsun Blue, but you should ideally stay away from such products if your baby is aged below 6 months.
Further Suggested Reading
- Dry Patches on Scalp – Flaky, White, Scaly, Itch and Red
- Dry Scalp Shampoo – Best Brands, For Men, Women, Kids and Moisturizing
- Dry Scalp Remedies and Home Remedies for Dry Scalp
- Treatment for Dry Scalp – How to Treat Dry Scalp, Infant, Best & Natural
- Dry Itchy Scalp Causes, Home Remedies, Shampoos and Treatment
- Baby Dry Scalp – Newborn, Toddler, Infant Treatment and Remedies
- Dry Flaky Scalp – Cause, Flakey, Treatment and Remedies
- Extremely Dry Scalp, Very Dry, Chronic, Excessive and Extra Dry Scalp
- Dry Scalp – What to Do For Dry Scalp, What Is Good, Products, and Solutions
- What Causes Dry Scalp, What Is, Hair Loss, Dandruff and Prevention