For that different look, it is possible to curl straight hair. In this post, we discuss how to curl straight hair, how to curl long straight hair and how to get curly to straight hair. We also discuss how to naturally get curly hair. Read on to learn these and many more including how to get curly hair for men.
How to Curl Straight Hair or How to Make Straight Hair Curly or How to Get Straight Hair Curly
If you have been wondering how to make straight hair curly, your woes will be gone by the time you are done with this section. Discussed below are two simple ways on how to curl straight hair.
Using a Curling rod
One starts this off by washing out hair as usual. After you are done, towel dry it. Follow this up by applying a generous amount of mousse on the hair starting from the roots to the tips. Scrunch the hair and avoid rubbing it.
- With the hair still damp, apply either a root lifter or a thickening spray. If you settle for a root lifter, it should be used on the roots alone. The thickening spray is suitable for the whole head. Whichever method is used, do not forget to use products at the undersides and nape of the neck.
- Blow dry hair. Use your fingers to comb through it as you do so. Minimize the usage of a brush as much as you can.
- Section hair in readiness for curling. Each small section should be sprayed before the onset of curling. Hook each section into the barrel at a time and hold for ten seconds. Secure curled sections with bobby pins before moving to the next section.
- Once the whole head is done, blow dry hair once more for about a minute. Leave the curls to cool off without disturbance.
- Remove the bobby pins and finger comb the hair to define the curls.
- Spray a holding spray on the hair.
Braiding is another way on how to get straight hair curly. The size of the braids and how tightly done they are will determine how tight the curls are. Loose braiding will only yield loose waves. Get the braids to be small and tight for great curly results. Here is how to get curls through this method.
- Shampoo and condition hair as usual.
- Towel dry hair and leave it damp. This will better the results as opposed to working on dry hair.
- Apply a generous amount of mousse on hair evenly.
- French braid the hair into a tight braid and sleep in it.
- Undo it in the morning and style without brushing.
- Apply a holding spray.
How to Get Curly to Straight Hair
To get curly to straight hair follow the procedure given below:
- Shampoo and condition hair.
- Towel dry hair using a micro towel where possible. If not, wrap up your head in a cotton towel until it is damp.
- Comb hair using a wide toothed comb.
- Blow dry hair using a blow dryer extension. This will help to protect hair from damage while ensuring air is as close to the hair as possible.
- Part hair into two parts, an upper and lower section.
- It is now time for flat ironing. Set the flat iron in the appropriate heat setting depending on the thickness and texture of your hair.
- As it heats up, spray a heat protectant on hair then flat iron a small section of the hair at a time.
- To avoid going over a section more than one time, use fluid movements as opposed to jerky movements of the flat iron
- Straighten each part as you clip the parts you are done with to put them out of the way.
- With already straight hair now, style as desired. Learn how to keep it remaining straight.
How to Curl Long Straight Hair
Long straight hair may be hard to hold curls for a long time. To come up with perfect curls for long straight hair without the use of heat styling, try this method:
This method will require that you have some strips of absorbent fabric that is not so thick. Each strip should be three inches wide and twice your hair length. To get this right, put hair in one curl to help in guiding in cutting the rest. This should help to adjust the length and thickness as may be appropriate for given hair. The number of strips to be used will depend on hair thickness and nature of desired curls. The tighter the curls, the more the strips needed and the faster the hair will dry up.
- Comb hair and section it into two equal parts from the front to the back. Clip one side and leave the other free
- Fine comb the loose section and divide it into two equal parts by parting it horizontally at the middle. Clip the top part. (This can be extended past this point for tighter curls which may require smaller sectioning.)
- Using one strip of cloth, closely wrap hair around the strip ensuring that it is not the strip that is being wrapped around the hair. Avoid being messy to keep the curls neat.
- Tie the ends of the strip at the bottom of the bun. Do this for the whole head.
- With the hair coiled up and wrapped, drying will take some time. Be patient enough. One could air dry or use a bonnet drier.
- When one is sure that hair is completely dry, untie the strips and pull them off from the hair.
- Use your hands to finger comb the hair. For well-defined curls, wrap the curls around your index finger and let them form tight spirals.
- To make the curls last, give them a light hold spray. This will also help maintain their natural movement.
Products to Make Straight Hair Curly
There are many available products to make straight hair curly. What one settles for should be determined by the characteristics of their hair. Products to make straight hair curly are made with hair specifics on mind. Learn your hair type first before purchasing any product.
How to Make Straight Hair Curly for Men
The methods used to curl straight hair for women are mostly the same ones used by men. The only difference may only be that for most men, only the methods applicable on short hair may apply. These are mostly those that make use of chemical processes.
How to Make Straight Hair Curly Naturally
There are a number of ways on how to make straight hair curly naturally. These include use of cloth strips, braiding, twisting and wrapping hair up in buns. The quality of the curls may not be as polished as when chemical treatments and heat are used but these ensure that hair remains healthy all through.
Images: Straight hair to curly
Straight hair 2 curly